2019 Huayu Enrichment Scholarship(HES) For Thailand Students
Application Date: 1st February-31st March, 2019
Quota: total 120 months
Grant: A monthly stipend of NT$25,000
Grant period: three months, six months, nine months, or twelve months
To encourage international students and individuals to undertake Huayu (Mandarin language) study in Taiwan, the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China (Taiwan) established the “Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship” program in 2005. While providing study opportunities for Huayu language and Taiwan’s culture at university- or college-affiliated Mandarin language centers, this program also aims to:
- contribute to a better command of the Huayu, and hence a greater understanding and appreciation of Taiwanese culture.
- promote friendship between Taiwan and countries around the world;
- explore opportunities to increase exchange with international education institutions.
II. Amount of Scholarship
The monthly stipend is NT$25,000 (approximately US$800). Recipients are responsible for their own expenses. Ten scholarships (total 120 months) for Thailand students have been allocated for 2019.
III. Duration of Award
- Duration: three, six, nine or twelve months from September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2020.
- Award periods:
- The yearly award period is from September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2020. If recipients fail to undertake their study in Taiwan during this period, their award status will be cancelled and cannot be extended for another year.
- Recipients should be matriculated for the study term/quarter at the individual Mandarin training center as specified in the award.
- If recipients begin their study after the intended study term/quarter has started, their award period will become effective from the month they matriculate at their individual Mandarin language centers in Taiwan.
- A recipient’s award period will end when his/her specified award period has finished. However, the award will terminate as soon as a recipient drops out, expelled from a language training center, or if his/her scholarship is revoked, whichever comes first.
Thai applicants above the age of 18, who possess a high school diploma or above, have shown excellent academic performance, and are of good moral character, are eligible. Candidates with one of the following qualifications may NOT apply:
- Is an overseas Chinese student or a national of the R.O.C.
- Is currently registered as a student at a Mandarin Language Center or has sought a degree from a university or college in Taiwan.
- Has already received a HES or a Taiwan Scholarship, in the past.
- Is an exchange student to Taiwan, during the scholarship period.
- Is currently receiving financial benefits from the Taiwan government or another educational institution.
V. Application and Selection Process
For application receipt, review and selection, applicants must send their completed
documents to Education Division, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Thailand( Empire Tower, 20th Fl., No.1 South. Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120). The application period is from February 1 through March 31, 2019.
- A complete application includes the following materials:
- A completed application form.
- One photocopy of the passport and household registrations of the applicants.(Thai version is sufficient)
- One photocopy of the highest-level diploma and a complete grade transcript.
- Supporting application materials to at least one university- or college-affiliated Mandarin language centers in Taiwan (e.g. photocopies of application forms and receipts or emails of receiving applications from at least one university- or college-affiliated Mandarin language centers in Taiwan). Award recipients should undertake at least 15 hours of Mandarin language courses each week. For a complete list of Mandarin language centers acceptable, please refer to https://english.moe.gov.tw/cp-23-17677-b4bb4-1.html (English version) or https://ws.moe.edu.tw/001/Upload/7/relfile/6645/60836/e878c79f-3b19-4cb3-a60e-4451218552ae.pdf (Chinese version)
- Two letters of recommendation from the educational institutions enrolled or letters of reference from Thai government agencies. The letters should be signed and sealed in envelopes.
- Applicants applying for the HES for 9 months or 12 months must submit the copies of the certificates of TOCFL ( abbreviation of Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language, for details please log on www.sc-top.org.tw) level 3 or above. HSK Score will not be accepted.
- Applicants applying for the HES for 3 to 6 months must submit the copies of the certificates of TOCFL (abbreviation of Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language, for details please log on www.sc-top.org.tw) level 2 or above. HSK Score will not be accepted. For those do not have the certificates of TOCFL could submit copies of TOEIC test scores at 550 or above or equivalent scores at other recognized English language proficiency exams.
- Selection Criteria
- Recipients should achieve an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above, and a postgraduate GPA of 3.2 or above (on a 4.0 scale). For the recipients of the nine-month or twelve-month HES, should hold the certificates of passing TOCFL Level 3 or above.
- Interviews will be given to selected candidates and must be conducted in person so as to interact with the applicants and better judge their demeanor and moral character.
- Applications must be complete in full. All incomplete applications are ineligible for consideration, and persons submitting incomplete applications will be withdrawn from the selection process without further notice.
- Selection Process
- Upon reviewing applications and conducting interviews in May, 2019, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Thailand will inform award recipient candidates and alternate candidates which will be placed on a waiting list.
- Award recipient candidates should submit a copy of their letter of admission to The Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Thailand for verification by June 20th, 2019. Failure to submit documents within the specified time period will result in disqualification, and the candidates on the waiting list will be offered a scholarship.
- The Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Thailand will issue a certificate of receiving award and assign the award period.
VI. Suspension and Revocation
- Attendance Records:
With the exception of a serious illness or accident, if a recipient is absent from his/her required language sessions for up to12 hours within a single month, the award will be suspended for one month and the stipend cannot be reclaimed.
- Academic Performance:
Beginning from the first term/quarter of his/her study in Taiwan, if a recipient’s academic average scores for a study term/quarter are less than 80 points out of 100, the award will be suspended for one month in the next term/quarter, and the stipend cannot be reclaimed.
A recipient will be permanently disqualified from receiving a HES and the remaining stipends will be cancelled, if any one of the following situations arises:
- Recipients receiving the HES for 6 months or more fail to submit, at the time of matriculation for each study term/quarter, an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) with the reason “Pursuing Studies”, by the deadline as specified by his/her Mandarin language center.
- Failure to achieve an average academic score of 80 or above out of 100 for two consecutive terms/quarters of study.
- Missing a final achievement score for any study term/quarter, with the exception of a serious illness or accident.
- Dropping out or being expelled from school.
- Simultaneously in receipt of another scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or educational institutions.
- Working illegally, violating R.O.C. law, university or Mandarin Language Center regulations.
VII. Scholarship Payment Schedule
In principle, stipends will be disbursed to recipients by the 5th day of each month, through the Mandarin language centers where the recipients attend classes, and by a method as specified by the individual institutions.
VIII. Medical/Health Insurance Requirements
It is mandatory that recipients participate in the National Health Insurance Plan (NHI Plan) and purchase the policies for Student Accident Insurance after 6 months of their residence and study in Taiwan. The recipients’ educational institutions can deduct fees for these insurance plans from the recipients’ stipends, before processing and granting funds to them.
As a requirement for matriculation at their intended educational institutions, recipients must have medical/health insurance policies (Non- NHI Plan) upon arrival in Taiwan. These policies can be purchased by the educational institutions in Taiwan.
- In case of any contradictions, the Chinese version of Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) International Student Directions, revised on December 22, 2011( see details at http://depart.moe.edu.tw/ED2500/News.aspx?n=4C56D7FD08F9CD2B&sms=3E927154E2FD9903) shall prevail.
- HES Application Form 2019